Thursday, August 7, 2008

1st Day of Kindergarten

OK, let's all go back in time for a minute:

Tuesday, August 5 our "big girl" Abby started Kindergarten. 
Yeah Abby! She was so excited and not a bit nervous until 
we were driving over to the school and she says, "Mom, I'm 
nervous, (pause) I don't know why I am nervous." When we 
finally get there I can tell by the look on her face she wasn't 
sure how to act and that she really was nervous. HOLD IT 
TOGETHER BREE, HOLD IT TOGETHER!!! So we find some 
of her friends from preschool and our neighborhood and they 
are really cute to her and she smiles, WHEW, we are gonna 
be OK! Then here comes the bad part: I try to turn on my 
camera and what the HELL?, my camera batteries are DEAD, 
I contemplated chucking the thing across the playground. 
Yeah, like that wouldn't have made a scene. Anyhow, so I let 
that go for now (I'll get pictures after school) and the teachers 
are telling them to line up along walls and fences depending on 
who their teachers are. Kids start frieking out, parents start losing 
their cool and I'm thinking Abby's gonna cry, so I whisper/yell to 
her that she's gonna have so much fun and I love her and she 
says she loves me back and smiles. Yep, still gonna make it. 
Then the teachers come out and tell the kids to go ahead and go 
in and Abby looks at me with her excited face and says, "Can 
I go in too?" I tell her yep, go ahead and have fun, she smiles 
and walks in. YYYYYEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!  WE DID IT, NO 
TEARS FROM EITHER OF US! I couldn't be prouder of her for 
being BRAVE amid all the breakdowns! Way to go Ab!

Now fast forward to after school: the teachers walk them out and
I can see her scanning the parents looking for me and getting a 
little anxious, she sees me and unleashes a HUGE smile and 
starts running to me. I get down to catch her in a hug and I ask 
how it was, "GREAT Mom, it was GREAT!" We are gonna be 
alright. Now I ask her if I can take her picture since I couldn't 
before school (stupid friekin' batteries/camera), NOT A CHANCE! 
She whips out the impossible child routine and I say, "Fine, let's go."
Another battle lost, and at this point I'm alright with that. So, now you
know why I have NO pictures of Abby on her first day of Kindergarten.
I guess you'll have to use your imagination. 

Abby's 2nd Day of Kindergarten!

2 comments:

The Smith Family said...

Haha, that was GREAT commentary on the day. Sorry about your camera!

Mel & Annette said...

Personally I think that 2nd day of kindergarten pictures are great. Congrats Abby. Have a great year! Love, Grandma Nett