Thursday, September 30, 2010

Provo River Half Marathon

Back in June, my friend Tiffany asked me if I wanted to run a half marathon with her and her sister. I have been wanting to do one for awhile but have had some serious doubts, 13.1 miles is a long way...

Well after some debates with myself, I decided I had to try, had to prove I could at least finish. I had until August 7th, so I pulled up a 10 week training schedule on the internet and read all the info I could. I also made a bet with some good friends to train, which helped too (Accountability!!) I read 2 things while researching that I kept in my head while training and racing: 1. Don't worry about the time on your 1st race, just simply finish. 2. "Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired." George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian.

To make a long story short: I didn't sleep the night before, I psyched myself out, froze my tail off while waiting for the race to start, did the mass start at the front of the pack (big mistake), ran too fast at the start (another big mistake) and eventually about Mile 8 started cramping in my side and it just wouldn't quit. I had to run until it killed, then walk until it was bearable, then run again, it was so ridiculous and I was so pissed (I never cramped while training). All of which didn't help either. Finally at Mile 12, I was so pissed off with the cramp situation, I was like screw this I am running and if I pass out so be it. I finished with an official chip time of 2:26:55. Not terrible, but not exactly what I was hoping for. I was passed by so many people who I never thought could or would pass me, old people, young people, heavy people, injured people, you get the picture. I was served a huge plate of Humble Pie.



My hope is to do another one and finish with a better time and be able to run the whole time with no cramping. I guess only time will tell...

2 comments:

The Smith Family said...

Just know I think you're awesome! One day I will do one...I loved your quotes. Seriously...just what I needed to hear after I promised myself I would get up this morning and start my 5k training and didn't. No way am I going to not now! Thanks for the inspiration

Karen, Mackay, Easton & Kallie said...

don't sell yourself short. your time is great for your first half. running 3 miles is like shoving a needle in my eye. there is no way i could have gotten your time. way to go!